Sunday, September 12, 2010

Boston

While I was in RI, I was able to take a day trip to Boston and do baptisms for the dead in the Boston temple. It had been a while since I been able to go to a temple and it was a really cool experience. It made me reflect a lot about my time in RI and why I was there. Before I left, my friends kept teasing me that this was my “mini” mission. Supposedly I was one of those stereotypical 20 year old girls that feel they need to venture off in the world and make a difference before they settle down and get married. Even though I totally disagree with that statement... I did find there some truth to it. I didn't go to RI so I could come home and get married. For those of you who know me, you know how false that is! I felt very strongly that I needed to go specifically to RI and work with the family that I did. Looking back, I can see several reasons for this. I learned a lot in RI. It opened my eyes to a whole new way of life. My family was not LDS, and neither was anyone in my city for that matter. This wasn't a new experience for me though. I just got back from being one of a the only members in a country! However, this time I was able and allowed to talk freely about religion. Not many days went by without at least one person asking me about my beliefs and why I lived the way I lived. I was able to reflect a great deal on why I was a member of the LDS faith. I am not a member because of my family or friends. I am a member because I choose to be. The gospel makes me a better person and it makes me happier than anything else. I was able to share this with so many people. Although none of them joined the church or probably will anytime soon, I was able to clarify teachings of the gospel and share my testimony verbally and also by example. I'm so grateful for those experiences and conversations that I was able to have. It strengthened my own testimony and hopefully those around me could feel something too. So no I am not buckling down and getting married anytime soon, but I do feel I was able to serve a “mini” mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment