Friday, August 27, 2010

Newport



A few weeks ago I visited the great city Newport, Rhode Island. It might just be one of my favorite places I've been to. It's a fun city with lots to do. It has great beaches, a beautiful golf course, amazing sea food, a cute beach village, shopping, and did I mention the Newport mansions? Newport is known as a New England summer resort. The mansions were built during the Gilded Age by very wealthy Americans such as the Vanderbilts, Belmonts, Bell, Wetmores, ect. There are incredible. I think this is a case where a pictures is worth a thousand words...
This is the Rosecliff mansion. Look familiar? Lots of movies have been filmed here.. including 27 dresses!


This is the Marble House. It is completely made out of marble and was a 39th birthday gift for one of the Vanderbilts... 11 million... in 1892. Enough said.


This is the Chateau-sur-Mer. 

The Elms

The Breakers.. my personal favorite. This was teh Vanderbilt's summer home. It has over 70 rooms with one room made completely out of gold. Below is the backyard view right on the ocean.

After I toured some of the mansions I walked along the "cliff walk." I think this explains my new obsession with the New England coast.

I walked forty steps...
to get to this...
then I walked along this...

to catch the end of the sunset...

2 comments:

  1. The Breakers was my favorite too! I can't even imagine living there. I'm even in love with just the yard and the back outside area. They've made some of the mansions into a college I heard. Wish USU's buildings looked like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that you went there! Did you visit them when you took that trip to Boston? The Breakers seriously was incredible. It's funny that you say that because when I was there I thought... Rylee would SO get into this.
    Yeah I saw the college they have there. I think they've used a few of the buildings yes. Yeah mansions... beach.. why are we going to USU again? ;)

    ReplyDelete