Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Watch Hill




Well I've been living in Watch Hill for over two months now. I've been out here nannying for a family this summer. I can't believe it is almost over. I have just a little over a week here and then back up to school. It has been a good experience to say the least. I've learned a TON about families, parenting, and just different ways of living. Nannying is different than I thought it would be, but I've still enjoyed my time here. Despite what people think, it can be pretty hard sometimes. It's difficult to raise someone's children, especially when they have beliefs different than yours. It can be such a blast though too. The girls are so fun and we've had some crazy times. Everyone keeps asking me if this makes me want to settle down, get married, and have children. If anything it has done the opposite. I've been able to see how hard parenting is and we have a joke that nannying is the new birth control... joking... kind of :)

Let me tell you a little bit about Watch Hill. Watch Hill is the most beautiful place ever. It is a little village on a peninsula of southern RI. If I had to describe it in three words it would be - exclusive, seasonal, and resort community. It is crazy here during the summers. With 200 Victorian style summer houses and families flying in all over to stay for the summer, it's a fun and exciting place to live. But, in the winter it is a ghost town. Not one of the shops stays open. The moms bring the kids to live for the summer while the dads come up when they can on the weekends. It is definitely a different lifestyle than I'm used to, but it's been fun. There are constant parties and every club you can think of -golf, tennis, beach, yacht- you name it. I've learned that jeans are always a no and cell phones are never allowed... almost anywhere. I live in a place where people name their boats like I would a dog and white pants and a sweater tied around the shoulder is a must. Like I've said, I've learned a lot. :)
However strange this place is to me sometimes, I feel so lucky to be here. The house we are staying in is amazing-my window looks to the ocean and has a nice view of their pool. I literally walk down the street and I'm at the beach. It's wonderful and the sunsets are absolutely amazing. I have fallen in love with the New England coast. I love the rock cliff beaches, sailboats and lighthouses- they are the greatest things of life. I'm already looking forward to when I can come back.


P.S. I realize I haven't written about any of my adventures out here... so I will be posting a few blogs in the next week. Buckle up... more to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment