Saturday, August 21, 2010

Discoveries of Living on a Beach: Crabbing, Starfish, Jelly Fish


Being from Utah, I can count the times I've been to the ocean on one hand. Living on a beach is very different. I've learned a lot about the ocean- the tides, waves, fish, ect. I learned that there are millions of different crabs- some are eatable and some are not. There are different kinds of jelly fish- some good some bad. Stay clear of the red and pink ones, but the clear ones are okay. Moon Jellys are goo-y and are fun to throw at each other. Small sand crabs and starfish are fun to catch and play with. These are all things that a few months ago I knew nothing about.

Crabbing. Who knew this word would  bring such joy. Crabbing is so much fun. It might be one of my favorite things I've done all summer. Crabbing consist of putting raw chicken on the end of hooks and resting it down in small nooks of rocks. This is where most of the crabs hide out and they are easy to catch during high tide. After scooping them up in a net, they are placed in a bucket for counting at the end of the days adventure. I've been crabbing a few times and the most we ever caught was 104! I was like a little girl on Christmas. It was the coolest thing and I probably got a little too in to it. The girls got a good laugh at me.

I'm pretty sure we caught the mother of all crabs. For those discovery watchers- I felt like I was on the deadliest catch. It was pretty intense and we were all pretty proud we caught this guy. We were crabbing with a friend who has been crabbing here for almost 40 years and it was the biggest crab he has ever seen... yes bragging rights I know. For those of you who have never been crabbing, I highly recommend it. There is not age limit and you will have the time of your life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brooke - raw chicken?!?! I don't think crabbing and I would get along that well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, but MaryAnne it is so much fun! Do you like crabs just as much as you love fish? ;)
    But you're right. I'm having flashbacks of the Bear Lake fiasco. Maybe we could find a more sanitary substitute?

    ReplyDelete