Monday, June 28, 2010

Triathlon + Best Friends = Greatness


When someone says Triathlon, I think of the words endurance, athletic, Iron Man, insane, and jealousy. I have always wanted to do Triathlons and I worship those who do. To me, these are the greatest athletes. If you can swim over a mile, and still ave the energy to go bike 20 something miles, and then run afterwards, well props to you! (Don't even get me started on those crazy people who do the Iron Man.. that is just crazy)
As much as I have always wanted be considered a "Tri Athlete" I never really gave it much thought because well, I have issues with swimming. When I say I can't swim, I really mean I can't swim. Yes I took the typical swimming lessons every summer, but I never got that breathing thing down, which is kind of key. I hate putting my face in the water and I'm always hyperventilating when I come up for a breath. Maybe I should have paid more attention during swimming lessons instead of goofing off and seeing how far I could test my instructor. I must say though, after all those years of lessons I did master the doggy paddle quite well.
My lack of swimming expertise made me think I would never be able to do a Triathlon, but then my amazing best friend Ellen told me about the Olympic Relay. We checked it out and signed up for the St. George relay right after the semester ended. Ellen would run (10 K), I would bike (33K), and Lindsay (unbenonced to her) would swim (1.5K). We got quite giddy thinking about the Tri event and decided that this would become a life long tradition between the three of us. 
We signed up for this in February/March-ish. The race was May 15. That should have been enough time to train right? Ellen ran for soccer, Lindsay swam in her pool a few times and could finish the distance with a break in the middle, and I went on one long bike ride the day before, which Betty (my Dad's old road bike purchased back when he went to college) broke down on.... We were in for an adventure.


We left for St. George the day before. We were excited/giddy/scared out of our minds. With a rented wet suit, borrowed bike, tennis shoes (yes no clip ins), a borrowed jersey, and last minute padded spandex pants we hit the road. We got there that night and checked in. Probably the most intimidating experience. We saw countless athletes with their "legit" equipment. I wanted to grab borrowed Betty and run far far away. We got our packets and  bodies marked and we decided to drive the course. The event starts with the swim. We went down to feel the water and I about died. Brave Linds. Then we drove the bike course, starting out on an endless hill. Yikes. All I could think was... did I really sign myself up for this? Wait.. I actually paid money to embarrass myself? (trust me, that comes easily enough)


"Is this real life?..." Yes... yes it is.

We got up the next morning and headed for the race. I got more and more anxious. Lindsay started off first and did awesome. :) Then she handed the chip to me and I set out on my bike. It was the coolest experience. It was such an adrenaline rush. Betty held up like a champ and I passed the chip on the Ell who finished us up strong. I was so proud of us! We finished!!! With borrowed equipment and lack of training, I think we did pretty dang good. It was a neat experience. I loved watching all of the other athletes. I couldn't believe that some people do all of that by themselves! People of all ages compete. The ages are marked on the athletes' calves for everyone to see. The ages ranged from 9-76! It was insane and very inspiring.

Swim Bike Run

I think we all caught the tri fever. I definitely am going to learn how to swim so I can do my own sprint tri. Ellen and Lindsay plan to do the same. All three of us are planning to do half marathons this summer/fall. Racing is the greatest, most motivating feeling ever. I already can't wait for next summer and more races! I highly recommend doing triathlons, even if you can't do it all by yourself yet :)


Go 490! OR  :)




Viccctory!


1 comment: