Sunday, January 24, 2010

Life As A Movie Star?





Living in China is quite the experience. I live in one of the poorest provinces and my city is really small. I am the first foreigner many people have ever seen. I am the first foreign teacher my students have had. The Chinese love white people, especially Americans. They think Americans are the most beautiful people ever. It doesn’t matter if I walk out on the streets in sweats with no make-up, everyone will tell me how beautiful I am. I have white skin, blue eyes, I’m tall, and I have curly hair (or used to) which is all very different from any Chinese person. I definitely stick out. I’m constantly starred at and everywhere I go people shout, “Foreigner!” or “Oh! Beautiful.” It’s actually quite entertaining. I have signed thousands of autographs. It is not unusual for my students to ask me to sign their books or clothes in class. They love taking pictures of me. I thought this would get old after the first month or so, but it is my last week here and I still have students who sneak their cell phones out and take pictures of me during class. I’m sure I am all over the Chinese youtube. I still have at least one student in every class that asks to take my picture after class. Chinese people are crazy.  Sometimes it does get a little annoying, but mostly I think it’s pretty funny. My mom used to joke that if you eve have a low self esteem, move to China. How true that is. They treat you like gold here.

No comments:

Post a Comment